Sunday, September 26, 2010

Experiences of a lifetime!


This week went by much smoother than the past couple of weeks. There was a lot less homework, and the stress level was a lot lower. Midterms were Friday which was good and bad I guess. I got all A's, so that made me pretty happy! I have been pretty busy after school with dance, YW's, and volleyball games. Every day I seem to have something to rush to. Nutcracker practices for Clytie Adams have been fun, and I can't wait until opening night!
Since most of my life revolves around dance, I want to tell you about something that I got to do this weekend. You may have heard of a T.V. show called So You Think You Can Dance. This is one of my all-time favorite's, and I'm going to explain it to anyone who hasn't seen it. On this show, three judges who go around the United States holding auditions to see who will be America's next best dancer. They do different dances every week that are incredible. The dancers on this show are nothing but the best. Last year was the 7th season of SYTYCD so there have been many amazing and inspiring dancers in the past years.

Last week I signed up for a dance workshop with three of the best dancers that have been on SYTYCD. These dancers are Twitch, Lauren, and Legacy. I got there at eight, and gave them my waiver so I could receive my wristband. I put on my wristband and went into the room that I would be dancing in. Once everyone got in the ballroom, we warmed up and got ready to meet them for the first time.
When they came out it was amazing, I kept thinking, "Wow, the people I have been watching on T.V. are right in front of me." I couldn't believe that they really were in front of me. After introducing them, we headed out to learn a dance with B-Boy Legacy.
"B-Boy" dancing is when they spin on the ground and on their head and do crazy tricks. I was kind of worried that he would make us try, but luckily he taught us a Hip-Hop routine. The dance we did was really fast, but fun. It was so cool for him to give us advice and teach us about dance. He told us the you have to do what you love, and love what you do. After an hour and a half with Legacy, we went with Twitch to learn another Hip-Hop routine.
Twitch is the best Hip-Hop dancer that has been on this show, and was one of the main parts in the new movie Step Up 3. The routine he taught us was cool because he put parts of the dances he did on the show, in our dance. His was kind of hard to understand, but after practice, we did alright.
After a long morning of dancing, we were all ready to go eat some lunch. We went to the mall, ate, and looked around for a little bit. When we got back we only had one class left, Lauren's class.
Lauren is a contemporary/jazz dancer. The hardest part about her routine was remembering everything. It was pretty long, but it felt so good to dance with emotion and not be sharp. When the last class came to an end, we surprised Twitch with birthday cake as we all sang happy birthday to him. It was really cool because he was totally surprised. What I loved the most about them was their personalities, and how nice they were to everyone. Taking pictures with 300 people, and signing 300 autographs takes some serious patience, but they happily did it with some of the most positive attitudes I've ever seen.
I was so grateful that I got to meet them, and dance with them. If you are a dancer, It is a big deal to meet Twitch. I hope that in the future I will be able to be a part of other great things like this.

1 comment:

  1. I love SYTYCD. Twitch is one of my favorite dancers ever. I am not a dancer myself, but I would have loved to meet him. That's really cool that you were able to.

    (I am Mr. T's intern by the way.)

    ReplyDelete