Saturday, December 18, 2010

"It's the most wonderful time of the year!"

"You'll shoot your eye out kid!" This classic movie (Christmas Story) has started many christmas traditions in my family. With the fireplace burning and hot chocolate warming our hands, we love to sit together in our family room and watch this on christmas eve. Even though we all come from different families and cultures, we still have our own traditions. It could be baking treats, acting the nativity scene, or watching christmas movies, but it's your way of celebrating christmas that makes it special.

I think that christmas is a wonderful time of the year because it gives you a chance to thank people that you are grateful for. It kind of seems like thanksgiving would be the time to do that, but sometimes a note is more valuable then a present. Like most people say, we always get caught up in the material things and forget what the true meaning of christmas is. I definitely think that this is true. This year I am trying to think more about others and not be so caught up in what I'm getting, or what I want. When you work hard to earn money, and pick out a gift, the reward is much greater when you see their face as they open the gift.

I always think that christmas will never be the same now that I know santa isn't real, but you can still feel the "christmas spirit" if you are helping others and having a positive attitude. Sometimes the "christmas spirit" comes from watching children that are dying with excitement for santa's arrival and christmas morning. When you see their face, shocked with how santa got all of their presents under the tree, you can't help but smile.

What is love about christmas is the snow and music. I love looking out the window and seeing the trees covered in snow. There are also so many activities to do during the winter. You can go snowboarding, skiing, tubing, sledding, or just go outside and make snow angels or build a snowman. I can honestly say that you are never bored during christmas break! If you ever say that, then be mad at yourself, because there are plenty of things to do! At our house during break, the radio is on 24/7. Christmas music is always streaming through, leaving us with songs stuck in our head all day. You would think that this would get annoying, but I actually don't mind it. I love listening to the different christmas songs and singing along to them.

Even though all of these things are great, my favorite thing to do is watch classic christmas movies. I obviously love The Christmas Story, but along with that I love watching Elf, The Grinch etc. All of these movies bring me the "christmas spirit" when I watch them. I think that movies can help get you excited for christmas, and also show you the true meaning of christmas.

The last thing I love about christmas is how it brings people together. Since I obviously listen to the radio a lot, I hear all of the commercials for charities and donations going on. Even at our school we did "Penny Wars" to raise money for families who can't afford to buy their kids presents. I think that people really go the extra mile and donate during christmas time because they realize how horrible it would be if you couldn't afford to buy your kids presents. I think of how bad these parents feel, but because of all the people who donate toys and pitch in money, most of these families are taken care of and don't have to worry about confronting their kids with the situation. I know that these families are so grateful for the help that they receive, and the people that donate feel even better for helping someone in need.

Christmas really is "the most wonderful time of the year!"

No comments:

Post a Comment