Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Letter Entry.

Dear Suzanne Collins,


You have captured the lives of millions with your amazing way of writing. Earlier this year, it seemed to me as if the whole world was reading, or had read your books. So in need for something to read, I picked up “The Hunger Games” and embarked on a journey I would’ve never expected. I am not someone who reads for hours, but I couldn’t put this book down. I loved your use of different dialogue, and the strange plot. The story is so disturbing and twisted, but somehow, you made it okay for the audience to read. Most of all, I love the different elements you put in the books. You put many different genres together to form great writing.

Even though this book is very exciting and adventurous, I was disappointed by how sad I was while reading it. I thought of myself in Katniss’s shoes, leaving her family, and going to her almost certain death. I thought of leaving my best friends, and how much that would affect my life. I don’t know what I would’ve done in Katniss’s shoes, but I know I wouldn’t have been as brave as she is in this book. She gave me a glimpse of hope, and helped me build up more courage in my life. The one thing that disappointed me about her character was the fact that she lied to Peta on a regular basis. I know that in her position I most likely would have done the same, but as a reader, it made me feel sad for Peta, and mad at Katniss. I tried to figure out if there was any other way that they could’ve won, but as I ponder back on the book, I realized that Katniss was very smart in her decisions and knew that they were for the best.

I think that you pointed out great morals in this book. Our world is just like their world, we are hanging by a thread, killing each other off one by one. Our world has been, and still is in a constant fight. We are barely surviving, but we all have people who can help us through it, our family. I think it was important to show how much Katniss loves and cares for her family, but most of all her little sister. Her character is so caring and kind, but unfortunately most people these days don’t have good character and attitudes like Katniss. This helped me realize that we all need to start becoming a little more selfless, and start caring more about others.

I was really shocked by how sad and graphic this book was, but it helped me learn important lessons while being entertained. The first thing I learned was, “Life is like a game.” You have to find your friends and know who to trust. You need to protect yourself from people who are trying to hurt you or bring you down in your life. The second lesson I learned was how to be a strong person and face trials in your life with courage and love. Being courageous and loving will help you tremendously throughout your life. These are all important lessons I learned, but the biggest lesson of all was learning to watch your actions because you never know who is watching you. People are surrounding you all the time, so you need to be making the right choices because they could change your life.

As you can see, I learned a lot of things from this book. I often think of the book and wonder if our world will ever come to that extreme. I hope that our world will never become like theirs, living in poverty, and killing for entertainment. This is something that has a very slim chance of happening, but is still a scary thought. I loved this book and the originality that you brought to it. It is not like any other book out there, it is one of a kind!


Sincerely ,
Michelle Skonnard

No comments:

Post a Comment